- “I’ve made a lot of mistakes. You still want anything to do with me?”
- 1 Biography
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Quotes and Catchphrases
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Avocato used to be the best soldier in all of Ventrexia, fighting endless battles on behalf of his planet despite hating war. When he and his men were ambushed in the middle of the battlefield, they were saved by the Lord Commander and his fleet, who vaporized the enemy in an instant. Despite not trusting him, Avocato agreed to join Lord Commander after he made him see that he had no reason to fight Ventrexia's war besides being good at killing and promising that they could create a universe without death. As a first commission, Lord Commander ordered him to kill the king and queen of Ventrexia. Avocato was successful in killing the king and queen by shooting down their ship, something he regretted for the rest of his life. In the rubble, he found the surviving baby of the royal family, whom he decided to adopt as his son.
Before the events of the series, Avocato was the Lord Commander's second-in-command, doing anything he was told. Under the Lord Commander's orders, he helped to expand his masters empire by conquering planets and killing hundreds of people.
At one point, Avocato met a version of Little Cato from the future, who warned him of his demise at the hands of the Lord Commander, causing him to question his loyalty to him.
His fears would be confirmed when, three years before the events of the series, the Lord Commander decided to put all his generals to the test by making them kill their own first born son. Avocato was the only one who refused, and was thus stripped off his rank. Lord Commander took Avocato's son hostage, so he could force Avocato to do his dirty work for him.
When first seen, Avocato, along with several other bounty hunters, tracked down Mooncake to the Galaxy One. The other bounty hunters were disposed off when Gary Goodspeed ordered H.U.E. to lightfold the ship. Only Avocato stayed behind, and was taken captive, after which Gary forced him to play cards with him.
While at first hostile towards Gary, the two bonded during a mission to Tera Con Prime to track down the bounty hunter Terk. From Terk, Avocato learned where his son was held captive, but it turned out to be a trap, and he was brought before the Lord Commander. He managed to escape thanks to Gary, although Gary lost an arm in the process, and the two returnd to the Galaxy One. Once Gary learned of Avocato's son, he promised to help free him.
Avocato thus willingly joined the Team Squad, which gained an additional member in Quinn Ergon. He helped her and Gary take out the corrupt Infinity Guard soldiers that were opening a breach to Final Space from Infinity Guard Outpost - 0439.
Eventually, Avocato discovered his son was being held on Zetakron Alpha, the prison colony of the Lord Commander. Despite knowing, it was probably another trap, he and Gary went there and managed to free Little Cato. The mission however did not end well for Avocato; just before the group made their escape, Lord Commander used his powers to put a bomb on Little Cato's back. As was foretold by the future Little Cato, when the explosive was discovered, Avocato sacrificed himself to shield the others from the blast, and was killed in the process. The last thing seen of him in this season, was his lifeless body falling back to the surface of Zetakron Alpha.
In "The Remembered", a young Temporal Worm send the Team Squad 3 years back in time, to when Avocato was still the Lord Commander's second-in-command. Little Cato used the opportunity to warn his father about the Lord Commander killing him in the future. While he succeeds in doing so, it doesn't change the timeline, and Little Cato is forced to leave the past version of his father behind. After meeting Time Swap Sammy, Gary made a deal to save Avocato. The Crimson Light traveled through time to the exact moment Avocato was killed, and picked up his body. In return, Gary stayed on Zetakron Alpha for several months, until he had caught up again with the present, and the rest of the Team Squad could pick him up. By this time, Avocato had recovered, but he suffered from total amnesia.
In "The Closer You Get", Avocato regained his memory. The reunion was shortlived however when Gary’s body was taken over by Invictus. The possessed Gary fought with Avocato, until Invictus decided Avocato was a stronger host and took him over. Avocato thus became a puppet of the evil entity, and angrily disowned Little Cato before disappearing in a puddle of black ooze.
Avocato did not appear again until the episode "The Sixth Key", where he had taken a ship and furiously pursued the Crimson Light to kill Gary as vengeance for stealing his son. Little Cato was forced to shoot down his father’s ship to protect his friends. Avocato wouldn't be defeated for long, however. Despite losing his ship, Avocato, presumably with the power of Invictus, managed to reach Inner Space and took on the entire crew of The Crimson Light (including the redeemed Sheryl Goodspeed). As Avocato began to strangle his son, Ash Graven, with inspiration from Nightfall, used her powers in a massive blast that forced Invictus out of Avocato's body, finally freeing him and reuniting with Gary and his son at long last.
Understandably confused at having missed so much since his death and subsequent possession, Avocato took a seat at the helm as the crew, led by Gary, escaped Inner Space with the help of Bolo. Once free, Gary took the crew (Avocato included) to follow Bolo into Final Space to finally rescue Quinn, only to be caught off-guard at the sudden arrival of Invictus.
In the episode ...And Into The Fire, Avocato is seen alongside the crew trying to fly away from Invictus after they had rescued Quinn. The team squad are forced to abandon the Crimson Light and take the escape pod since the ship had sustained a significant amount of damage from short-burst lightfolding through a titan. The team squad exit the escape pod only to realize that they are stuck on a deserted planet. Avocato and the rest of the crew come to the conclusion that they must do whatever it takes to survive and escape final space. Avocato is seen later in the episode running from Zombie Garys with Gary (from the main timeline), quinn and Tribore. In an attempt to get rid of the zombies avocato blows up the remains of the escape pod with a detonator he had rigged to it earlier. However, this only blew garys even closer to the four. Seeing the team squad in danger, Mooncake blasted the zombie garys in an attempt to save the quartet. This managed to grab the attention of another titan who had been under the sway of Invictus. During the fight between bolo and the other titan, the former accidentally punched the planet causing the team squad to fall through the cracks formed and get split up into teams of 2. Avocato leads a team consisting of Little Cato, Ash, Fox, and Sheryl into a cave where they meet a giant robot. They learn from the robot that nobody escapes final space as the dimension slowly poisons you. The robot requests the team to end him, to which Ash complies. A few moments later the group is faced with an army of zombie garys that have been possessed by Invictus. Avocato is last seen in the episode looking at his son when Little Cato tells his father that he loves him.
In the episode The Hidden Light, after Avocato tells Gary that he and the others are safe and that he has seen no signs of mooncake, they head into some fog and lose communication with each other. Tribore then informs the group that he must leave them because he needs to celebrate an ancient tradition in his species called paternity leave. Once Avocato and his group say goodbye to the two, they get abducted by an unknown force. This unknown force turns out to be the arachnitects who abducted the team thinking they were sent by Invictus. Once the fraction of the team squad explains that they weren't sent by the cosmic entity, they ask the Arachnitects how they managed to survive for so long. The Arachnitects explanation is cut short however when the Lord Commander ambushes them. After he takes them out, Avocato tries to kill the Lord Commander by shooting him. The Lord commander easily subdues Avocato and lifts the squad closer to him. He questions the team about mooncake's whereabouts to which they do not reply. Avocato is forced to watch the Lord Commander choke Little Cato to get some answers from the young ventrexian.
Avocato is first seen in the episode " The Ventrexian " hanging upside down alongside his son and the other members of his group. The Lord commander starts choking Little Cato in hopes that it will get Avocato to talk about mooncake's location. Once he realizes that hurting the young ventrexian was of no use, he threatens Avocato to start talking, or else he would make the ventrexian tell little Cato about the first time they met. The lord commander uses his psychic abilities to force Avocato to talk about the memory which leads to the other members of the team squad learning about how he betrayed his home planet and killed their king and queen. Once the Lord Commander realizes that the group was telling the truth about not knowing where mooncake was, he stopped hurting Avocato and releases him from his psychic grasp. The episode ends with the Lord Commander taking the group to Invictus' lair to be possessed and serve the cosmic entity.
Avocato is a Ventrexian (an alien cat), an anthropomorphic feline, and he's tough and he's smart (a reference to the 2016 action thriller film Triple 9). He has a smooth, Forest Ocean (or dark teal) fur with white facial markings and a crooked, upside down triangular pink nose. He has large, rouged yellow eyes and small black pupils and a jagged tail. He wears boots, a grey belt with a silver buckle, greenish leggings, a tan vest, a pair of the shoulder and knee pads, a brown utility sash, and arm bracers.
Avocato is a rather serious bounty hunter who can seem cold and stoic at times. He does have a warm side, however, which appears especially when he is around his son and occasionally between him and Gary.
Avocato can also be shown as cruel which can be seen in the series when he watches fellow bounty hunter, Terk, die by getting painfully tazed with a casual, and almost annoyed, look. However, he is capable of being caring and helpful to the ones he trusts.
Gary Goodspeed - Best Friend
Upon meeting Gary in chapter one when Avocato boarded the Galaxy One to confiscate Mooncake for the Lord Commander. Avocato hides inside the ship during the light fold for a sneak attack. Later Avocato is captured and Gary asked if he can play cards, which lead him to be tied up and forced to make him play cards for the next nine hours. It was an unconventional beginning to what would become an epic friendship.
Avocato's first impression of Gary was that he is immature, oblivious and an idiot. He tries to trick Gary in getting Mooncake to safety, just to betray them in order to retrieve his imprisoned son from the Lord Commander's clutches. However, he has a change of heart and attempts to help get Gary to freedom. He learns to like Gary for his kindness, bravery, and loyalty, he truthfully helps Avocato become a better person thus making them best friends. When Avocato sacrificed himself to save his son in Chapter Six, it was Gary he knew, he could trust to take care of his son.
On the second season, Gary and Little Cato went back in time to save Avocato from his demise. After months on the prison planet, Gary finds out that Avocato was suffering from total amnesia. After he regained his memory, he helped Gary become free from Invictus, but became possessed in the process. Gary tried desperately to free Avocato, but Ash was the one to do it. Afterwards, Avocato and Gary resumed their friendship as normal, but even closer.
Mooncake - Friend
Avocato had been looking for Mooncake all over the galaxy to hand over to Lord Commander. However, after playing cards with Gary, he warms up to Mooncake and even trusts him, as shown when Avocato was shrunk from his normal size in Chapter 5. Mooncake trusts Avocato and even allowed him to ride on his back.
Quinn - Friend
Both skilled combatants, Quinn and Avocato respect one another, but used to bash heads commonly. This was heavily apparent in Season 1. They later seemed to have cooled off their feuds, and now appear to be normal friends who respect one another well.
Little Cato - Adopted Son
Little Cato is the teenage son of Avocato, who was captured and held prisoner by the Lord Commander. Originally meeting him in the wreckage of his parent's ship after blowing it up, he comments how the baby looks like a son he used to have, and adopts him. He later names him Little Cato.
When Little Cato was older, the Lord Commander made all his generals kill their firstborn, including Avocato. After refusing and attempting to kill the Lord Commander to save his son once and for all, Little Cato was taken hostage and Avocato was stripped from his own rank. He eventually does release his son, but not after dying shortly after. Little Cato was shown struggling with heavy self-blame for his father's demise.
However, he does eventually get his father back, he expresses heavy frustration at Avocato's amnesia. After he gets his memory back, Avocato and Little Cato do one final battle together before Avocato is possessed. Avocato, while possessed, insults and taunts Little Cato, while he desperately tries to save Gary. Once he leaves, Little Cato takes Gary back to the ship, collapsing to the ground.
After Ash frees Avocato, him and Little Cato appear to make up and continue just fine, as Little Cato tells Avocato he loves him when they think they are about to die, and him expressing support at his father's dark past being revealed, along with other acts of affection. Little Cato still has yet to know that Avocato killed his parents and adopted him at birth.
KVN - Friend
KVN and Avocato get along, although Avocato is shown getting annoyed at KVN at times. However, he does treat KVN nicer than Gary does, such as when Avocato confirms that KVN saved the ship in Season 1. Not much is known of their relationship otherwise.
H.U.E. - Friend
Avocato is shown being quite friendly with H.U.E, asking him to do tasks and communicating with him a lot. Not much else is known about their relationship otherwise.
Ash Graven - Friend
Originally being the one to free him, Ash and Avocato are shown to get along quite well. Cooperating commonly with little to no objection, the two collaborate constantly along with the rest of the group to stay alive, such as when Avocato lends her his gun to put a robot out of his misery, then giving it back when they are attacked by zombies. She later tells Avocato not to blame himself when his past is revealed to the entire group, but he tells her that it was him who still killed them.
Fox - Friend
Originally distrusting Tryvuulians as species, he later learns to get along with Fox, but their relationship gets a rocky start, particularly when he partially insults Fox without him knowing he was there. Fox remarked that Little Cato's response hurt him. He also at one point demanded that both of the Catos are going, while Avocato and his son were fighting. They later do grow friendly, as shown with them cooperating somewhat, and when Avocato spit in the Lord Commander's face, Fox comments that he did the Lord Commander dirty.
Sheryl Goodspeed - Frenemy
Avocato and Sheryl do seem to get along at times, but Sheryl gets on Avocato's nerves on more than one occasion. This is done multiple times, such as when Sheryl lightfolds through a titan. Beforehand, she announces she will do it, to which Avocato reacts in panic and disbelief, before shouting that she is just as crazy as Gary. She tells him that she is his mother, and lightfolds anyways, which turns out successful, but caused a significant amount of damage. When Avocato and his group were imprisoned, Sheryl managed to break out. She quickly leaves the group alone, to which Avocato reacts in frustration and anger. Little does he know, Sheryl contacted help and they were later freed, except Fox.
Quotes and Catchphrases
- "Call me that again, and I'll kill you."
- "I'm not a cat, I'm a Ventrexian."
- "I'm back, baby!"
- "H.U.E, can you pass this in?"
- "Remember...? You promised..."
- "You're right, it is MY SON! And we're getting him."
- "You sure you wanna do this? There's a 99% chance that this is a trap."
- "H.U.E! Let's do this!"
- "Yeah, because we are on the wrong planet."
- "No! Literally! We landed on the wrong planet!"
- "It's my fault! He's angry with me!"
- "Things are about to get real. You kept your promise, Gary. Go back! Go back to Quinn!"
- "Because... what do you really know about me?"
- "By not asking the questions I didn't want to hear the answers to..."
- "I've made a lot of mistakes. You still want anything to do with me?"
- "Now let's get the hell out of here!"
- "A job worth doing is worth doing together!"
- "I know that's a whole lot of holes, but we're in a whole lot of trouble."
- "Look, I heard of a place that safeguards fugitives. The closest one is on Yarno. No one will find him there."
- "It's a unconventional way to start a friendship, but-"
- "Gary! I can't leave my son!"
- "I had one mission for the last 3 years, Gary. And that is to find my son."
- "I...I have nothing to give in return..."
- "A Ventrexian stealth probe. Terk..."
- "A bounty hunter, like me. And if he scanned Mooncake, he'll be on his way back to the Lord Commander to gather reinforcements. Unless we stop him first! If we don't, they will capture Mooncake. And take us to the dark zone. And torture us with Zargon slugs. Where we're gonna suffer pain, and anguish, for all eternity. And the only way to stop them, is with salt. And there's no salt in the dark zone."
- "You don't, but together we got a shot! Get me out of these cuffs, and we'll go after him."
- "As real as it gets, baby!"
- "I can't hear you... I messed up... I messed up bad! But I'm not gonna leave you here! I promise! I'll do whatever it takes!"
- "That little green snotball is a planet-destroying-superweapon, that's gonna get us killed."
- "Looks like they made some changes around here..."
- "Give me one reason I won't kill you right now for leaving me to die on that ship!"
- "We're in danger... listen, all of us are IN DANGER!"
- "It's a Lazarus Trap! Only master trapmakers can make these! And people who really like stairs."
- "My son..? Where?! Where is he?!"
- "I'll let you go... I'll let you go to Hell!"
- "I know you're in there, son!"
- "I've been a terrible father... the Lord Commander ruined me... and I lost you. My son! Don't let him ruin you!"
- "Give me more cards, and I will shoot myself!"
- "I'll let you shoot me.
- "Neither is your life, and I saved that."
- "It's not... you're still right here..."
- "Listen to me! Anything we think of becomes reality! Okay?!"
- "Then you're really not gonna want this..."
- "Thanks bud, needed that."
- "Gary? I hate the Lord Commander for a reason... I was his second in command..."
- "I was a master of death... I did anything the Lord Commander asked of me..."
- "What?! No tunes baby?!"
- "What I lack in size I make up for in wisdom."
- "The name's Avocato!"
- "Hand over E-351!"
- "What's a mooncake?"
- "Please tell me you didn't name E-351..."
- "YES! FREAKING! THAT!"
- "You don't know what that thing is, do you? That is a planet killer."
- "So you think this is funny? I'm serious."
- "Yes. The Lord Commander is searching the galaxy for it. You can't hide! Wherever you go... he'll find you."
- "[Laughs]… you're oblivious to this thing, aren't you?"
- "I got your back, Mooncake!"
- "You got that, baby?"
- "Trust me, I can do this. I'm close."
- "I was desperate, man... I was trying to save my son!"
- "He does do that all the time..."
- "Quit talking you idiot!"
- "Are you insane?!"
- "How 'bout covering up that dick situation you got going on there?! Jeez..."
- "Too much..? Or just enough?"
- "As excited as I am for today, I am even more excited for tomorrow..."
- "Take care of my boy!"
- "For eternity, for Lord Commander."
- ”Shut the hell up and answer the question: Where the hell am I?!”
- "I hated war... The problem was, there was no one better at it than me."
- According to Olan Rogers, Avocato is 512 years old, though this may not be accurate. 
- In "Chapter 5", upon returning to normal size and attacking several Infinity Guardsmen, Avocato yells "I'm back, baby." This is likely a nod to Bender from Futurama, voiced by John DiMaggio who provides his voice to several miscellaneous characters in Final Space (including one of the Infinity Guards that Avocato attacks, and Terk).
- On April 12, 2018, at 8pm EST, TBS broadcasted live footage of a memorial for Avocato. It featured a large flame, candles, cards, pictures, and many other memorial-related items.
- Avocato's name is a pun on the word "avocado", which is a fruit. It was created by Coty Galloway, which also has a cat named like that.
- Avocato is a shout-out to the Red Dwarf character The Cat.
- Avocato has many attributes similar to that of an actual cat:
- Much like a real cat, Avocato can land on his feet, and according to Gary, he has fondness for milk.
- Whenever he gets slapped in the face, he makes a “meow” sound like a real cat.
- He growls and hisses when angered.
- Avocato's tail puffs up whenever he is startled.